9.04.2008

Trace Your Process for Writing the Essay (WWD)







This is just space I needed to fill in because the picture made the words look weird! This has nothing to do with my blog post!









Considering the Exploratory Essay we were required to write for class, there were two aspects of the writing process; invention and incription.

The concrete activities I used during the invention process were: attending English 301 and listening to my professor and peers discuss topics we could explore and how we could explore them, I read the required readings from class to get myself more fully prepared for class, I looked over my notes and my classmate's notes to refresh my memory of what we could be thinking about exploring, and I sat at my laptop before I began writing to come up with some ideas on what I could explore in my essay.

The concrete activities I used during the inscription process were: sitting down and brainstorming with any idea that popped into my head, beginning a paper on a topic and then deciding the topic itself was too broad (so I had to start all over with the actual writing), writing up a draft with my ideas in essay format, and then finally editing that draft to produce the final version.

Looking over the drawings, I would say they do tell you different things. The drawing of the concrete activities is more detailed - exactly what I did, what went down, so I could remember how to follow the exact steps again. However, the visual metaphor is useful as well, because if I wanted to follow the same thought process, but it was for a different project/concept, I would be able to remember what I did to get the product I wanted, even if that meant doing different concrete activities to get there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like your description of how creating the visual metaphor of your composing process might help you as you approach future writing projects.

Were you producing a more through research project exploring your writing process for this project, I'd be interested in hearing more about the process through which you attended classes, listened to classmates, read readings, and ultimately came to your understanding of what the assignment was asking you to do. This "interpretation and negotiation" of the initiating text, as Paul Prior explains, is very important to understand in terms of understanding why a particular text looks the way that it does.