9.24.2008

Observations on My Data Collection

While observing the first group, I sat mostly to the right of Aaron, slightly behind his shoulder but trying to face towards their conversation so I could hear what they were saying clearly. They obviously knew I was listening in on their conversation, and it felt a little awkward as I was easily in her line of sight whenever she glanced at Aaron, which could have been quite distracting. I felt more "in the picture" than I would have been comfortable with, I guess you'd say.

Had I positioned myself beside Erin who sat opposite them, it probably would have been a better observer position, but it was much easier to hear and think about what they were saying when I was as close to them as possible-sitting further away makes it easier to get distracted and easier to miss something said.

I seemed to jot more notes during the beginning of the activity, as that seemed to be when most of the 'action' happened-as the activity progressed, there was more just writing on their part, less talking on their part, and I also eased out of my "this-is-an-assignment-I've-got-to-get-it-done" mode.

I used my class notebook and a pen and took 'sketchy' notes at best-I'm really actually very terrible at taking notes from speakers with no visual aid whatsoever. I could probably remember the gist of what happened from my notes, but nothing solid enough, and nothing I would feel good enough about, to actually try to report on.

-V

No comments: