10.21.2008

How will I analyze data?

How am I going to make sense of the data I'm collecting?

Honestly I can't studying precisely how a person uses writing in their job.

I will be analyzing how what her job description is affects not only what she writes but how she writes it and why she writes it the way she does. I will be watching her in the process most specifically and asking her questions about her own writing processes and seeing how the two add up. Are there specific things she absolutely has to do every single time as part of her job description in the writing process and why? Is she pressed for time and how does that effect what she writes and how she writes it? Does her writing go through a series of people after she has composed a draft or only one, and how does that effect her writing? Does she slam out a draft and send it to someone to be edited or does she spend an extensive amount of time, even after composition, to re-read and re-write and edit and re-compose what she has written to make sure it is the best thing she can possibly produce before she sends it to the next step? Is there a next step? I will be looking at her writing on a greater scale as well - seeing exactly what it is she writes and where it goes and who will see it (who the target audience is) and how that effects decisions made as well. I want to find out what I don't know about a writing job within, while perhaps it may not be a government setting, the closest I can get to one. I'm sure there are still different rules applied to the United Way than there would be with a newspaper or something like that - it would seem like documents produced for this company would have to have a more official air to them or at least a higher professional quality. I really want to get down into the "what" is different - that is my main thing, the thing I am most interested in. What is different about the documents she is producing, different from what I would expect? Are these terribly important things that the jobs/lives/whatever of many people depend on, or is she focusing on, say, the writing that goes on the Mon County's United Way website? There would be a big difference - and a big difference in the way documents for both situations would be constructed and analyzed, I would assume. Maybe it's more of a moral issue? I may be looking at that as well - looking back into what I wrote about people losing their jobs over something she has written. If that is the case and her job is based more around something like that, how does that factor into her writing morally or emotionally speaking?

Analyzing documents and data - I don't know, it will all depend on exactly what it is she does, whether I care about if she uses action verbs or not or whether I decide to look at it from a document-level-only perspective, how some are edited and why they are edited that way.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here?

I think instead of taking this at a document level, I'm looking deeper into more of the whys-instead of looking at tracing the writing process, I'm more interested in the social perspective? Maybe? I think so..not sure. Not to say there won't be plenty of coding data.

No comments: