8.25.2008

Rhetorical Activities 2 and 4

2.) Consider John Stewart's point about the state of argument in America today. Have you encountered any examples recently of argument-that's-not-really-argument? How can you tell the theatrical sort of argument from the rhetorically engaged?

I can think of many examples of argument-that's-not-really-argument. Anybody seen The View? This show is popular because five women from different backgrounds sit around a table and yell at each other in between interviewing celebrities. There's a black woman and a Jewish woman and a Republican and Barbara Walters, etc. Supposedly all this different "diversity", and they do all have differing opinions (interesting new perspective I have on that word now). The big but here is that you can tell they're not really listening to each other. Maybe they do take turns speaking (every once in a while), but instead of hearing one voice, considering it, and then applying-another voice lashes out with what she believes to be the best and most important thing to say. They don't listen to each other, they just talk/yell (sometimes to the point where you can't really understand a word of what anyone is saying at all).

Another of my favorite examples of argument-that's-not-really-argument would have to be church. I'm not really sure how to wrap my brain around this example, to really relate to you what I mean by this, but it seems as though most religious people aren't really into rhetoric, debate, or changing their opinions. I know there is something to be said for standing by what you believe in (and I'm not bashing anyone-I am within the ranks of aforementioned 'religious people'), but usually when you question anything religious, it seems there is no.....conversation to be had. This could be said for any number of groups, I know (just an example!) but...it seems like once a person in set in their mind about what they think/believe/"know", that's it. They refuse to acknowledge the fact that their mind could possibly change. There is no maybe, no possibility. No chance that things could be different.

I'd say a theatrical argument is one where everyone already has their mind made up and all they are focused on is being right. The View must be theatrical, it's still on the air after a few seasons. A rhetorically engaged argument would probably be more centered on considering all the possible elements-not who is right or wrong, but who is most convincing and why.

4.) Try to answer this question: what counts as persuasion in your community? Here are some questions to start from: Think of a time when you changed your mind about something. How did it happen? Did somebody talk you into it, or did events cause you to change the way you think? How do the people you know go about changing their minds? How does religious conversion happen, for example? What convinces people to stop smoking or to go on a diet? How do people get to be/stop being racists? How does a president convince a people they ought to support a war? Make a list of arguments that seem convincing in these cases.

College students are very likely to go to a meeting in the evening if there is free food involved. Food is a huge persuasive tool in college. Peers are also huge tools to be considered-I'll schedule a certain class if a friend is in it, or decided which apartment to live in if I know the other tenant. I'm not sure I fully understand this question. I have changed my mind for many different reasons-friends and situations alike. People I know change their minds when evidence is presented that seems more true than what they previously believed.

People stop smoking or go on a diet because it's healthier-they are trying to prolong their life. Maybe it's all about appealing to a person's feelings? Generally, people don't want to die. Generally people want to feel patriotic. Generally, people want to be seen as 'nice'. Maybe if you appeal to a person's pathos-that's how you change their minds?

List of Arguments:
.
My religion began before your religion, which means mine is the true and right one.
.You should stop smoking because if not, someday you will get cancer and die.
.Do unto others as you would have them...
.You should support this war because these men and women are carrying the pink, purple, and blue for YOUR safety and they need YOUR support to keep them going.



No comments: